Nepal is a playground for the people who love adventure and outdoors. Nepal is famous for the amazing terrain that lends itself to various outdoor activities from mountain biking, canyoning, bungee jumping, white water rafting, trekking to mountaineering.
If you stop and think, aren’t the Himalayan ranges that makes Nepal a lot more popular?
And what’s better than trekking your way up to a front seat to those very Himalayan ranges?
No trekkers trekking checklist is complete without at least one trip to conquer the Himalayan trails of Nepal. It’s terrain has made Nepal a country that is rich not only in vegetation but also in trekking routes spilled all over the different parts of the country.
Nepal has a large selections of amazing treks that offers majestic views, peaceful trails and an culturally rich experience.
Now the question you will be asking yourself is which is the best trek in Nepal. Choosing the best trek in Nepal is a very subjective thing and based mostly on what you like.
You pick your best trek in Nepal based on questions like :
- Do you like long treks or short ones?
- Are you looking for a laid-back trekking experience or a challenging one?
- Which mountain range you want to view?
- Do you want to try the trek with trails option or a single one?
The questions could go on and on.
The most popular treks in Nepal would undoubtedly have to be the Everest Base Camp or the Annapurna Base Camp. But there are lots of other treks most people forget exist amidst the iconic trekking trails.
We would never be able to pick a single best trek because each trek has different yet spectacular views, different terrain and different cultures you can experience. However we have made a list of what makes the best treks in Nepal.
Best Trekking Routes in Nepal
Nepal is well facilitated when it comes to trekking. All you need to do is pack your bags, fly in, get the necessary trekking permits and start your journey to the foothills of the Himalayas. Choose among one of these treks and get your trekking gears ready.
Ghorepani and Poon Hill Panorama Trek
The Ghorepani and Poon Hill Trek passes through a varied range of climate, vegetation, and cultures.
This trek is an ideal introduction to Nepal’s natural beauty as you will be walking from green vegetation of rain and temperate forests to the terraced rice fields and to the alpine region.
The 12-day trek starts at Pokhara and take you through the green slopes up to Ghorepani. Once you reach the top of Ghorepani and Poon Hill you will be surrounded by three of the world’s highest mountain ranges Mount Annapurna, Mount Dhaulagiri massif mountain range and Mount Manaslu. Other major peaks you will see from Poon Hill are Annapurna South, Gangapurna and Annapurna III.
Highlights of the Ghorepani and Poon Hill Panorama Trek:
- Constant magnificent views of the world’s highest mountain ranges including Annapurna, Manaslu and Dhaulagiri.
- Walking through the traditional mid-hills villages filled with the blooming rhododendrons. Do stop for a chat with friendly locals.
- The challenging yet exciting walk across the terrain ranging from the alpine to the arctic.
- The breathtaking panoramic view of the snow peaks of Annapurna I.
- Getting as close as possible to the magnificent Annapurna mountain range.
Langtang Valley Trek
The Langtang Valley Trek is a moderate trek that leads to an amazing adventure towards the central Himalayan region at Langtang and Helambu Region. The Langtang Valley Trek was shut down for a couple of years due to the destruction after the 2015, is now open.
This 11-day trek starts with a bus ride to Syabrubesi and heads towards the end destination along with winding Langtang Khola. You will trek through the dense oak, birch, pines and rhododendron forests, to reach Kyanjin Gompa. Kyanjin Gompa is a beautiful valley surrounded by snow-capped mountains on all sides.
The panoramic mountain views of the mountain ranges – Annapurna, Manaslu, Ganesh, Langtang to Jugal Himal, are the ones to behold from Upper Syabru and Shing Gomba.
Highlights of the Langtang Valley Trek:
- Waking up to the stunning backdrop of the high Langtang Himalayan range.
- 360-degree panoramic views of the majestic Annapurna, Manaslu, Ganesh, Langtang, and Jugal mountains.
- Walking through the most beautiful alpine valley in the perfect tranquility of the Himalayas.
- Passing breathtaking valleys gorges.
- Experiencing and exploring two main traditional culture & Buddhist religion i.e. Tamang, and Bhotias.
- Probable views of the red pandas along with other wildlife in the forests you pass through.
- Trekking through the cool shade of the pristine Chir Pine, Rhododendron, Nepalese Alder, and Oak forests.
Upper Mustang Trek
The Upper Mustang Trek is a fascinating and wonderful journey in to the Far North Western regions of Nepal. This 17-day trek starts with a short scenic flight from Pokhara to Jomsom. Jomsom is a large town and the headquarter of the Mustang region. From there you will be heading towards Lo Manthang, Mustang.
Your destination Mustang is geographically an extension of Tibetan Plateau. This highland wind-swept valley is barren with eroded canyons and colorful rock formations.
This trek will take you down to your starting destination via an alternative route. So you will not be walking down the same paths you walked when you trekked up to the Upper Mustang.
Highlights of the Upper Mustang Trek:
- Trekking through the old Trans-Himalayan Caravan route.
- Exploring the eroded canyons and colorful rock formations of Mustang.
- Taking a circuit around the once forbidden kingdom.
- Captivating views of the mountain ranges of Mount Annapurna and Mount Dhaulagiri.
- Explore the monasteries and Buddhist school of the Chhyodi Gompa in Lo Manthang.
Gokyo Ri and Gokyo Lake Trek
The Gokyo Ri and Gokyo Lake Trek is one of the treks in the Everest Region. The 13-day adventure starts with a short scenic flight to Lukla.
The trail follows several farm villages offering incomparable views of the high snow-capped peaks. You should take the time to adapt to the place given the altitude you are in.
You will then following the quiet trail to Gokyo and side trip to Khumjung. You will also get the chance to visit the ancient Buddhist monasteries on the way.
When at Gokyo, take a morning hike to the top of Gokyo Ri for the world’s most fabulous views of the surrounding peaks and landscape, including the giant Mount Everest, Mount Makalu and Mount Cho Oyu.
Highlights of the Gokyo Ri and Gokyo Lake Trek:
- Sensational 360-degree panoramic views of the chain of snow-capped mountains.
- Trekking through the dramatic landscapes, glacial lakes, striking viewpoints, and the verdant high valleys.
- Experiencing the Buddhist culture of the local Sherpas first-hand.
- Experiencing the warm and friendly hospitality of highland Sherpas.
Around Dhaulagiri & French Pass Trek
The Around Dhaulagiri and French Pass Trek is an experience of a lifetime great adrenaline adventure to Dhaulagiri Base Camp at 4,750m.
You will be camping in the moraines and glacier in the remote North West Dhaulagiri range mountains for most of the 18-day trek. The trek will then take you towards the popular ancient Trans Himalayan Salt Trade route.
The French Pass is the highest point of the trek. You will see a lot of the Buddhist prayer flags or lungtas hoisted by fellow trekkers and climbers. These prayer flags are hung to respect the mountain spirit.
You will be completing this adventure with sweeping scenic flight from Jomsom to Pokhara.
Highlights of the Dhaulagiri & French Pass Trek
- Pass through the world’s deepest gorge of Kali Gandaki Valley.
- Stunning views of Sita Chuchura, the mountains of Mukut Himal, Tashi Kang, Tukche Peak west, Dhaulagiri I and the Annapurna range from the French Pass.
- Camping at Dhaulagiri Base Camp.
- Trekking on moraines and glaciers.
- Walking through the mesmerizing rhododendron, oaks, magnolia and pines forests.
- Traverse to two high passes i.e. the French Pass and the Thapa-la Peak.
Langtang and Gosaikunda Pass Trek
The Langtang and Gosaikunda Pass Trek is an incredible adventure to the Langtang and Helambu Himalayan region of Nepal. The 16-day trek crosses between high peaks of Langtang region.
You can experience three different cultures along this trekking trail namely – Tamangs, Yolmus, and Bhotias. The Langtang National Park is well known for its populations of red panda, Himalayan black bear, wild dog, Himalayan Thar, Mountain Antelope and more than 250 species of birds.
After enjoying the beauty of Kyanjin Valley and the mountain range surrounding it, you will trek to the Gosainkunda Lake. You will have to pass the breathtaking Upper Syabru and Shing Gomba before you reach the pristine glacial lake.
Highlights of the Langtang and Gosaikunda Pass Trek
- Panoramic views of the Annapurna, Manaslu, Ganesh, Langtang, and Jugal Himal mountain ranges.
- Trekking in the most beautiful alpine valley in the peace and tranquility of the Himalayas.
- Trekking through the amazing valleys, gorges, and suspension bridges to get to your destinations.
- Experiencing the traditional lifestyle, culture and heritage of the Buddhist religion.
- Waking up to the gorgeous backdrop of the high Langtang Himalayan range.
- Witnessing the holy sacred Gosainkunda Lake.
Tilicho Lake Trek With Annapurna Pass – 17
The Tilicho Lake Trek With Annapurna Pass is a promising trek around the Annapurna Pass and Tilicho Lake. This 17-day trek is the chosen by the more experienced trekkers as it has a few places where you will have to use ropes to get to the destination.
The trail follows the Marsyangdi river all the way to its source at the glacial lake in Manang. The trek will take you through traditional and farm villages and terraced farm fields. You will be able to experience from the subtropical climate to the arctic landscapes.
This route passes the Tilicho Lake and the two high passes Mesokanto La standing at 5099 meters and Tilicho Pass standing at 5230 meters.
Highlights of the Tilicho Lake Trek With Annapurna Pass:
- Trekking in the Marshyangdi & Kali Gandaki valley with striking sceneries.
- Majestic views of the world’s highest mountain ranges Mount Annapurna, Mount Manaslu and Mount Dhaulagiri.
- Experience the diverse heritage and lifestyle of the Buddhist people.
- Dramatic views of the valleys from Hongdre village.
- Enjoying the tranquility of the Tilicho Lake situated at 4,920 meters above sea level.
Rara Lake Trek
The Rara Lake Trek takes you to Jumla. The trek to Rara Lake is a less frequented one in the region. This 15-day trip to the Rara Lake begins with a scenic flight to Nepalgunj and then catch another short flight to Jumla.
You will be trekking through the magnificent remote countryside, farm villages and valleys. You will be rewarded with fabulous scenery of snow capped peaks of Dolpo and Tibetan mountain ranges along the way.
You will complete the journey by trekking down via an an alternative route to Jumla. This circuit will offer you the best of this beautiful countryside.
Highlights of the Rara Lake Trek:
- Trekking to the Largest lake in Nepal.
- Boating in the Rara Lake also known as Mahendra Taal (Lake).
- Walking through the pristine forest, stunning landscapes, and magnificent scenery of the countryside.
- Passing through the isolated traditional villages.
- Exploring the high passes in complete wilderness.
- Trek through the Jaljala pass at 3580 meters and Ghurchi Lagna Pass at 3480 meters.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek
The Annapurna base camp trek is one of the most popular walks on earth. Since the trek is among the most popular ones it also among the most luxurious and expensive ones.
The Annapurna Base Camp Trek is an astonishing one that will take you through a diverse landscape and culture. You will be able to trek through the rich mountain vistas along with terraced fields and lush hills.
This Annapurna Base Camp Trek is a 11-day trek. The trail passes through tranquil landscapes, blooming Rhododendrons, bamboo and alpine forests. The most prevalent culture in the are of the Gurung and Magar community.
The particular route is designed for globe trotters who wish to trek to the Annapurna Base Camp but in a limited time. You can opt to take the 20-day Annapurna Circuit Trek in case you want a more relaxed trek to the base camp.
Highlights of the Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Stunning views of the mountains Mount Annapurna 1st, Mount Dhaulagiri, Mount Manaslu, Mount Nilgiri, Fishtail Mountain or Mount Machhapuchhre, Mount Himchuli, Mount Lamjung, Mount Gangapurna, and more all through the way.
- Visiting and exploring the Machhapuchhre Base Camp.
- Reaching the foothills of the Majestic Annapurna mountain range.
- Enjoy the natural hot spring 15 mins from Jhinu Danda. The hot spring is a great way to soothe your body after the trek.
- The breathtaking sunrise view from Poon Hill.
- Exploring the warmth and hospitality of the Gurung people living in the area.
Everest Base Camp Trek
No best trek list is complete without the Everest Base Camp Trek. Everest base camp trek is the adventure of a lifetime and one of the most popular and iconic trekking route around the world. Since the trail is very popular the amenities along the tea houses are very good and expensive.
Your journey to the Everest Base Camp starts with a scenic flight to Lukla, which is also known as the gateway to Mount Everest. You will be able to enjoy warm hospitality from the local Sherpa community, this will add a personal touch to your trekking journey to the Everest Base Camp.
The region is dominated by the Sherpa community which lets you explore the culture in depth throughout the trek. The mystical monasteries along with the panoramic views of the peaks are an highlight of the trek that tempts thousands like you to attempt this journey.
Highlights of the Everest Base Camp Trek
- An up-close view of the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest.
- Majestic panoramic views of the mountain peaks like Mount Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Changtse, Ama Dablam, along with other famous peaks of the region.
- Exploring and experiencing the local culture and visiting the monasteries in the region.
- Visiting the famous Tengboche Monastery en route the base camp.
- Visiting Namche Bazaar, a marketplace at the height of 3,450 meters.
- Trekking along the diverse landscape, glacial lakes, largest glaciers and the evergreen lush forests.
Trekking in Nepal is as easy as grabbing your passport, bag and the flight. But the difficult decision lies before you even put your foot out of your house. It is choosing among all the amazing trekking destinations Nepal has to offer.
With a wide selection of trekking routes you will be flipping through websites trying to find the best treks in Nepal. The resulting information may just end up overwhelming you. So we have the task into our hands and prepared the best treks for you.
Picking out a single trek and naming it the best would never do justice to you, we have listed out the treks we thinks are the best. You should trek to the beautiful regions and drench yourself in the natural beauty of the Himalayas at least once in your lifetime.
So choose one and come back next time to attempt another.
And for further details and queries, do contact us.