Annapurna Base Camp Trek in Spring(March, April, and May) is the second peak season which calls for thousands of trekkers to exhibit its beauty.
This is the best time to trek in the Annapurna region where you do not have to worry about packing heavy clothes nor the rain gears. You can simply do the trekking in the light clothes.
This is the most appropriate time for trekking in Nepal as you will experience the stable weather all around. You do not have to fear of drenching in rain or slipping off in the snow.
Plus, the temperature is quite moderate at this time where you can walk in neither too hot not too cold. During this best time, you will get to enjoy every bit of your trek in complete joy catching the most scenic views.
This is also the safest trekking route where you will be ascending to the maximum height of 4120 meters. And on clear days with suitable weather you will have least chances of altitude sickness. So, solo trekking is also possible, however, we recommend to hire a guide/ porter for your personal safety.
This trek begins with a short drive from Pokhara to Nayapul. From Nayapul you start a week-long ascends to the foot of Annapurna ranges. On walking, you get a chance to cross several typical villages of Gurung, Magar, Tamang, and other ethnicities.
Plus, you get to relax in the hot water spring in Jhinu danda on returning from the trek. This is such a relaxing moment you will have.
Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp trek in Spring (March, April & May)
- Catch the most stunning views of snow-covered peaks in clear weather
- Walk past the forests blooming in Rhododendrons and Magnolia
- Walk in the clear and dry weather enjoying the soft breezes
- Witness the magical sunrise views from the base camp
- Get a chance to walk to two base camps: ABC and MBC in the same trek
- Enjoy the warm hospitality of Gurungs, Magars, and other ethnic groups on your way
- Stroll around the typical Himalayan villages: Ulleri, Chhomrong, Deurali, Ghandruk
- Enjoy the chirps of many birds and witness thousands on butterflies en route
Weather of Annapurna Base Camp During Spring (March, April & May)
Annapurna Base Camp trek route shines in its full blossom during the spring season. With the variety of rhododendrons, diverse flora and faunas with the lively rivers and waterfalls, everything comes into life in the Annapurna region.
The season witnesses a maximum 25 and minimum 14 degrees of temperature on an average sunny day. And least chances of rainfall.
It is the most moderate time of the year for trekking in the Annapurna region. The temperature is neither too hot nor too cold. So, you do not have to worry much about packing the thick clothes for this trek.
Also, since the chances of rainfall are very least, you will get to walk in the dry and less-slippery trails with no fear of leeches and mosquitoes.
In spring, there is a chance of snow in higher altitudes in early March but as the month starts to get hot the snowfall also and you can walk freely enjoying the spring vegetation.
During this time, the precipitation is usually low, it means you will get to enjoy the most unobstructed views of the mountains, vegetation, and the surrounding landscapes.
Why Annapurna Base Camp Trek in Spring?
This is the time when the weather remains stable with the temperate weather. There is least chances of weather change, rainfalls, and the snow.
So, you will have the best time trekking in regions on the foothills of Annapurna peak. With this stable weather you will get the best possible views of the surrounding landscapes.
This is the time with low precipitation which means the air is less humid. Thus, you will get the sharp and clearest views of the landscapes and the surroundings. During this time, you will have the least fear of clouds obstructing the visions.
Spring, “Basant ritu” is the season of flowers in Nepal. If you go higher in the hills and on the hillocks on the mountainside, you will feel lost in the blossoms of wildflowers, rhododendrons and magnolias. You will find the whole trail enchanting as you proceed to the hillocks, leaving the town of Pokhara.
Spring season is the end of winter season and the beginning of the warmer month. During this time, the chances of rainfall are least in the mountains as well as in the trails in the lower altitudes.
Instead of worrying about the muddy, slippery trails, you can walk relaxed in your light clothes. Also, the surrounding is less humid meaning it will be crisp everywhere.
Food and accommodation in ABC trek in Spring (March, April & May)
Annapurna Base Camp is among is the most advanced and best trek route among other trekking trails in Nepal.
There are various tea houses and lodges in the trail route where you can take rests after your tiring walks.
You get the advanced services in food and accommodations in Kathmandu and Pokhara. But as you ascend higher the services go limited.
You will find basic accommodations with limited choices on food. And in the menu, there is Nepalese staple food Dal-Bhat with seasonal vegetables. Plus, other food items like momo, chowmein, noodles, soup, and the like.
And, for hot water, you can get it after paying a few dollars. In almost all tea houses you will find twin-sharing rooms with common toilet.
However, since spring is the peak season for this trek so, you may find difficulty in finding appropriate rooms and food. So, it is always a good idea to pre-book wherever you go.
Tips for Annapurna Base Camp trek in Spring (March, April & May)
- Always dress in layers. As you walk you may feel hot in the spring sun, so it is good to wear in layers. This way you can add or take off clothes with the change in body temperature.
- Do not forget to pre-book for the food and room. As this is the second peak season you may find difficulty in finding comfortable rooms.
- Carry your own water bottle and water purifiers. As this is the hot season you will be sweating a lot. So, you must drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Pack lightly! Pack wisely.
- Although it is a hot time, it is good to carry the sleeping bag.
- Walk slowly. Do not rush With an average of 6 hours you will surely reach your final destination of the day. So, maintain your pace, walk slowly. Take proper rest in-between walks.
- You are sure to encounter many other fellow trekkers en route. So, come prepared mentally to adjust with them in the trails as well as in the tea houses.
What to wear during Annapurna Base Camp trek in Spring?
- Trekking boots
- Trekking poles
- Trekking socks
- Hiking pants
- Trekking shirts
- Fleece Jackets
- Down Jacket
- Breathable underwears
- Sun hat, cap
- Water bottle and purification tablets
- Sleeping bags
- First-aid kits
- Sunscreen, moisturizers
- Pocket knife
Annapurna Base Camp trekking in Spring season is the best time to explore the crystal-clear sky, smiling snow-covered peaks, and the blooming vegetations of Annapurna region.
On this trek, you will have many joyous moments where you will be walking on the side of giant peaks: Annapurna and Machhapuchhre all along the trail.
With appropriate clothing and proper trekking gears, you will enjoy the fullest and face the least difficulty to trek to Annapurna Base Camp.
For further information on this trek or any other treks in Nepal feel free to contact us.
We encourage an early-bird booking of this trip to get some discounts. Come, join us!