April is the month that falls in Spring season. And it is one of the best time to plan trekking in Nepal.
This month serves as a favorable time both in terms of view and temperature. The weather is clear and pleasant with lively nature and lush green valley.
During this time you can witness the rhododendron flowers in full bloom along with various other wildflowers. It is a great month for keen botanists too.
April is a comfortable time for trekking not just in the lower altitude but in the higher altitude as well.
Hence if you want to take popular treks like Annapurna Base Camp, Everest Base Camp etc, April is a suitable time.
The snow in the higher altitude has just begun to melt during this time. Moreover, you will get clear and spectacular views of the surroundings and mountains.
Due to all these reasons, April experiences more crowd than the usual months. And is the peak season for trekking.
Weather for Trekking in Nepal in April
Trekking in Nepal in April is very pleasant due to the weather conditions. It is a perfect time for trekkers to trek into the mountains.
In the lower regions of the trek, you will enjoy mild and warm weather. The day time temperature below 2000m ranges from 20 to 32-degree Celsius.
And as for the altitude between 2000 to 5000m, you will experience moderate weather. Here the day time temperatures are warm at 12 to 20-degree Celsius. Also, the temperature during the nights hardly drops to negative degrees.
Trekking in April also means that the weather is dry since this month sees very little to no rain. The average rainfall during April in Nepal is only 57mm. This is generally the case in early April.
Hence, it is a great time for trekking on high passes and peaks in Nepal. The high passes are almost snow free and you will get spectacular views of the magnificent mountains.
However, the weather condition in the mountains fluctuates as you go higher and gain altitudes. Likewise, it also varies according to the trekking route.
The base camp and high passes, in particular, may have extreme weather conditions. Keep in mind that the temperature goes down to 1 degree for every 100m climb.
Some Recommended Treks to Take in April in Nepal
All the trekking routes in Nepal are accessible during April in Nepal. And every route has its own unique taste, beauty, and adventure to offer.
Down below we discuss some of the popular trails that you can consider during your trek in April
Everest Base Camp Trek
Everest Base Camp trek is among the wishlist for many trekkers from all around the world This trek is possible all year round. However, the month of April is the best month due to its favorable weather and fabulous clear views.
The daytime temperature in Everest Base Camp in April ranges between 8 to 19-degree Celsius. While the night time temperature drops to -15 degrees.
April is also the festive month for mountaineers in Everest. During this time there are several expeditions taking place in this region. On your trip to the base camp, you may even meet some of the renowned climbers during this time.
This month sees the colorful and lively field with trekkers in their gears and colorful tents. Hence, April is one of the best time to take the Everest base camp trek.
Highlights of the trek
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla
- Visit Namche Bazaar- the main trading center in the Khumbu region
- Observe the legendary Sherpa culture
- Breathtaking views of the spectacular mountain ranges of the Everest region.
- The amazing view of Khumbu glacier and icefall
- Hiking to Kalapathar – the perfect viewpoint of Mt. Everest
- Witness one of the oldest Buddhist Tengboche Monastery
- Biodiversity of Sagarmatha National Park
Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Annapurna Base Camp trek is one of the top trekking trails in the world. In this trek, you can explore the landscape of the whole Annapurna region.
During this trek, you will get the stunning views of Mt Annapurna, Mt. Machhapuchhre and Mt. Dhaulagiri.
In April, the view of these magnificent Himalayas are clear and are your best companion.
ABC trek takes you through beautiful villages. Here you will get a chance to experience the unique Gurung culture and their indigenous communities.
This is one of those treks that is easily accessible and not strenuous. The best part of trekking to Annapurna Base Camp in April is that the whole forest along the trail turns colorful with rhododendron flowers.
Highlights of the trek
- Annapurna Conservation Area- great for bird watching and nature lovers
- Close up view of the tallest mountain peak of Annapurna range
- Spectacular sunrise view from Poon Hill.
- Explore the ethnic lifestyle and culture of the Himalayan people
- Reach two base camps in one trek-Macchapucchre and Annapurna Base Camp
- Dense and vibrant rhododendron forest
- Enjoy the natural hot spring at Jhinu Danda
Langtang Valley Trek
Langtang valley trek is a short and easy trek that starts from the lower Langtang valley.
Some of the peaks like Langtang Lirung, Langshisha, Ganja La are the major center of attraction of the trek
In this trek, you will also get to witness the wildlife and flora of Langtang National Park. Here you will see animals like monkeys, musk deer, barking deer, and the endangered Red Pandas.
Also, the green terraced farm, Himalayan view, different waterfalls, and traditional villages entice you throughout the trek. These local villages are inhabited by Tibetans, Tamang and Sherpa people.
During the month of April, you can enjoy the dense and vibrant rhododendron and pine forest on the way. Moreover, the temperatures are perfect for trekking along with great views of the majestic mountains.
Highlights of the trek
- Scenic drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi
- Witness the authentic Tamang culture
- Yala Cheese factory- learn about the process of cheese making
- Panoramic views from Kyanjin Ri
- Amazing view of mountain peaks like Langtang Lirung, Yala Peak, Gangchenpo etc
- Stunning view from Ganja La Pass
- Visit old and significant Buddhist monasteries, stupas and monuments,
- Explore the wildlife around Langtang National Park
Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang trek is a unique and famous trekking trail in Nepal. This trail offers a great combination of natural as well as cultural beauty.
It is one of the great treks to take during April. In this trek, you will get the chance to explore the hidden kingdom of the Mustang region.
This once forbidden kingdom of Nepal is a rare untouched land in the Himalayas. Lo-Manthang, the capital of Mustang is the only walled city in Nepal.
On the trail, you will walk through a barren landscape and follow the ancient salt caravan route. The local Loba people are Tibetan descendant and have a very rich and preserved culture.
Unlike most trekking region, you can do this trek even during monsoon season. This is because Mustang lies in the rain shadow of the Dhaulagiri massif.
Trekking in April guarantees you enjoyable and pleasant walks in warm temperature with clear blue skies.
You can get amazing views of the great Mt. Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and various others.
Highlights of the trek
- Experience a vastly different landscape- Trans-Himalayan landscape
- Visit the last forbidden kingdom of Lo-Manthang
- Explore the Tibetan lifestyle and culture
- Visit ancient Buddhist monasteries
- Pass through the Kali Gandaki river and treeless barren landscape
- Stunning and close view of Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt.Nilgiri and Mt. Manaslu
Manaslu Circuit Trek
Manaslu Circuit trek is an incredible trekking destination with great and unhindered views of Mt. Manaslu.
The trek falls under the restricted trek areas in Nepal. Hence this trek will take you through the more wild, remote, and less frequented trails.
The journey to the foot of the 8th highest mountain in the world offers an incredible view that will last you a lifetime.
With incredible natural beauty. And the untouched culture of the ethnic inhabitants, this trek is beyond everyone’s expectations.
In April the blossoms of the rhododendron forest along the trial will welcome you along with 19 different species of bamboo at their peak.
This trek also includes bridges, rivers, and rare wildlife species. And besides these natural attractions, you will also get a better chance to overview the Tibetan culture and lifestyle.
Highlights of the trek
- Walk through Budhi Gandaki River valley
- Amazing view of Mt.Manaslu, Himalchuli, Ganesh Himal and Mt. Macchapucchre
- Cross the Larkya La Pass- the highest pass of Manaslu region
- Unique cultural blend of Tibetan and Nepalese people
- Witness several Buddhist monasteries and mani walls
- Fewer crowd with authentic trekking experience
Advantages and Disadvantages of Trekking in April
Trekking in any month comes with its own pros and cons. Now let us discuss some of the advantage and disadvantages of trekking in the month of April:
- April experiences the most stable weather suitable for trekking even in the higher altitudes. This means that there are fewer chances of flight delays, roadblocks, and risks.
- In April, the days are longer than the nights. This means you will not have to rush to get to your destination. Hence you can enjoy your trek in the long and bright days.
- You will get some of the best mountain views because April offers amazing clarity. Also, you will enjoy the views of colorful blossoms of the local flora. The hills are entirely covered with rhododendron and wildflowers of the region
- Rising temperature makes trails drier and easier to pass.
- April is the second peak season next to Autumn. Hence during this time, there are plenty of travelers and trekkers in Nepal. Mainly the popular trekking areas of Annapurna and Everest region sees a steady stream of trekkers.
- The sun is bright during April. Yet at lower altitudes of Kathmandu and Pokhara, the days are hazy. This may block the views of the surrounding mountains.
- Most of the hotels charge more in peak season and April is no exception. Hence the rate is higher compared to the low-season rate.
Some Useful Tips to Consider While Trekking in Nepal in April
- Since April is a busy month, the good lodges fill up fast. Also the flights, tourist buses fill up fast. So, make sure to book in advance to get your preferred rooms, flights.
- While visiting temples or religious monuments, follow the cultural etiquettes. Make sure to ask permission before clicking pictures.
- Wear a comfortable pair of trekking boot and warm clothes no matter what it’s like when you move out.
- Do not forget to include wind and waterproof jackets and pants. It is a windy month in Nepal.
- Dress in Layers as you will walk from lower altitude to higher altitude. Doing so will allow you to take off and put on clothes whenever you like.
- The day is warm and bright with sunshine. Take necessary precautions with sunscreen lotion for your skin, glares for your eyes etc.
- Reach out for help from your guide or team leader in case of any difficulty. Never make the mistake of neglecting small problems as they can turn into big ones.
- Take enough cash because there will not be ATMs in the remote areas.
- Various festivals fall during April such as Nepali new year, Buddha Jayanti, Bisket Jatra etc. Hence if you have interest, you can check out and experience these festivals in April.
- Hire a licensed guide for your safety because trekking into the mountains can be risky.
- While trekking, maintain your own pace and do not rush.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid the risk of altitude sickness.
April in Nepal is a trekkers paradise. It is an ideal month for trekking. The weather is stable which is perfect for any outdoor activities.
Trekking during this time consists exploration of rich flora and fauna, breathtaking scenery. Along with various festivals that make your trekking trip even more interesting.
Because it is the peak season, trekking in April requires advance booking. Hence with a little bit of preparation, anyone can take on the trekking journey in April in Nepal.
For further question or queries, please feel free to contact us. It is our pleasure to guide and assist you with the best of our knowledge.